Saturday, November 24, 2007

Lazy Day Today Which Adds Up to Many Posts

Ok. On one of my MS community sites, there's a guy who shall remain nameless. Let's just call him Fernando because it's nothing like his actual name. Anyway, Fernando treats his MS with Low Does Something that begins with an N (LDN) that is also used to treat heroin addition. It is hard to get LDN in this country and there is limited research on its effectiveness. Fernando thinks LDN is the answer to fu%$#@! everything! Don't get me wrong--I'm happy it works for him. BUT....when someone posts something about an unsupportive partner, Fernando goes on and on about LDN improving his mood and sensitivity to insensitive people. Fernando hates mainstream medicine, the healthcare industry, the pharmaceutical companies, etc. Well, I get that they have MANY, MANY PROBLEMS and could even be considered somewhat EVIL at times BUT...what about Live and Let Live? What about using whatever possible--mainstream and alternative--to treat MS? What about letting each person choose their own path and their own treatment? What about understanding that MS varies from person to person and that the treatment that works for one, may not work for another? What about the fact that LDN is not available to everyone and, even those who can get it, don't have the money for it? I wrote a post with a link to that MS Society video I posted here earlier and mentioned how it made me cry and how it's easier sometime to cry for others than for myself. Fernando's response? LDN. What the F&%$?

Then, there's a woman, let's call her Penelope, just because that's a funny name to me right now. Penelope is a born again Christian who literally sees, talks to, and hears from Jesus on a regular basis. I'm not saying she doesn't have a relationship with Jesus or that there's anything wrong with that, but not all of us believe in Jesus, use Jesus as our Higher Power or even have a Higher Power. So, anyway....Penelope posts something every day or twice a day with stories about what Jesus asked of her today or what she asked of Jesus today and she includes scripture. Well, bully for you, Penelope! What about the Muslims, Jews, or atheists with MS? Are they doomed to a life of suffering if they haven't been born again? I go to a Unitarian Universalist church because I HATE being told that there is one way, one answer, etc. There are many ways, many answers....perhaps as many answers and ways as there are people.

So, I'm a little bit&$@ today. I'm tired. I'm having a lazy day and I'm pissed off that I have to have a lazy day in order to have enough energy to go to a meeting and hang out with Ken tonight. I also think I am slightly depressed. I love that I have this blog to say whatever the f$%# I want and that I am even encouraged to do so for my good mental, spiritual, and physical health.

Ok. I know I can't/shouldn't/don't want to stay this angry about the MS but the timer hasn't gone off yet. And, I'm not always angry. I go back and forth. I read about my coworker with breast cancer and feel blessed to have my hair, assurance that MS won't kill me, etc. I watch, listen, and read the news and see American teenagers that are people's children dying in Iraq and feel sad and grateful that my children are too young to enlist. Then I see Iraqis and Afghans being tortured by American soldiers and contractors and feel sad and ashamed but fortunate, too, that I'm pretty sure no one can legally come to my home and take me away for imprisonment without just cause. So, what I'm saying is, MS is not the end of the world. The world is filled with a lot more suffering than I have from this brain disease. I am not so self-absorbed as to think otherwise. I just want all that world stuff to go away and MS to go away. And neither one will and that sucks.

I'm done for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment