Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Gratitude

I went to Connecticut with Ken and the kids today to visit my good friend, Laura, and have a holiday celebration with my dad, my grandmother, my uncle, my sister, my brother-in-law, his parents, and my nieces.

It was a nice day BUT....all the way home I stewed and stewed and replayed insensitive comments from my family about my MS. I heard "It's mind over matter," "Well, MS, isn't so bad. They can control it now," and my personal favorite, "I know someone with MS and he works a physical job and he's fine so you have a choice about whether or not it defines you." Anyway, Ken, bless his heart, listened to me gripe and groan all the way home and repeat my favorite dysfunctional family coping phrase, "You can't go to a hardware store for bread" over and over again.

And then, I came home, played with the kids, got them into bed, and read the lovely email below, which my friend Laura sent to me.








I am very, very fortunate and very, very grateful for too many things to remember or list right now. Ruby and Zane are true blessings in my life and reminders that I must be the best "me" I can be every day. I am clean, sober, and don't smoke today, and I have faith--in a higher power, the universe, and myself. I have a wonderful man to love who loves me back and gives me passion and respect. I have a job that challenges me and allows me to be creative. I have health insurance and live in a country and a city where I have access to the best medical care. I have fabulous friends who hold me up and allow me to see their vulnerabilities and support them when they need it, too. I have a roof over my head and money to put food on the table and gas in my car. I have a car. I speak to and have relationships with almost every living member of my family and I (mostly) accept them for who they are and what they have to give (versus what they don't) and (mostly) show them the real me. I am writing. I am writing A BOOK.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie,

    I've decided to start a Blog Carnival specifically for those with MS or those who discuss MS. You are invited to participate. Information is available at http://brassandivory.blogspot.com/2007/12/announcing-new-carnival-of-ms-bloggers.html

    thanks,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete