Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My New Day Job

Outside Lazy Julie Land (believe it or not, I do have a life beyond the blog), there are people who are privy to what I do for a paycheck and the name of my employer. But not here. To protect them and me, I do not publicly align myself with any particular company or organization. I avoid the possibility that a clueless reader will mistake me for a representative of the company and, given my propensity to write whatever the hell I want regardless of whether or not it pisses anybody off, I would guess that could possibly cause trouble with my employer.

So, I have this job that is far, far away from my house and I have a position that is not a good fit for my skill set and preferred work culture. I'm not sure if the job changed or if I changed. I mean, I know I've changed in the last 2 1/2 years--most especially since being diagnosed with MS in September. I think the job I'm leaving used to be a good job for me or who I used to be, but not anymore. During my exit interview, I suggested to the HR person that they may not want to hire a writer who lives so far away, is a single mother of 2 kids, and has MS.

My new employer, however, knows exactly who I am and they like me anyway! In fact, during my interview, I found out that the person who will be my boss is aware of and has visited this blog!!!!! While at first that fact was somewhat horrific, I now think it's very cool. All of the potential things that could be shocking information and judged as negatives (MS, single parenthood, recovering alcoholic/addict, a little flaky with money, etc.) are already out in the open and not deal breakers.

So, beginning Monday, March 31, I will have a new employer who, for reasons already stated, shall also remain nameless. I'm very excited. It's a great job, I'll work with smart people who work hard but don't seem to take themselves or their work attire too seriously, I'll make a bit more money, and it's a much, much shorter commute. Yay!

Now I just have to finish all the wrap-up activities at my old job and figure out what to wear on the first day at the new job.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!! I'm glad things worked out in your favor. Anne

    ReplyDelete