Saturday, September 12, 2009

Rainy Weekend Meetup

I slept 12 hours last night (to make up for the steroid-induced insomnia the night before) and I'm enjoying a lazy day today. It's raining outside so the kids are playing inside.I love laying around on rainy days watching HGTV, listening to the kids play (without too much bickering), and having soup for lunch. We even made homemade strawberry/pineapple sorbet for dessert.

I used to feel guilty when I laid around and was not "productive" but not anymore. MS has taught me that rest and relaxation are completely valid and acceptable pastimes. I think it also helps the kids see that our every moment does not need to be filled with scheduled activities. Contrary to what our culture tells us, we don't always have to be go, go, going.

I'm saving up spoons to go out dancing tonight with an MS Meetup friend and some of her friends. In case you're not familiar with the whole Meetup thang, here's a definition from their website:

"Meetup helps people find others who share their interest or cause, and form lasting, influential, local community groups that regularly meet face-to-face."

Click here to find about about joining or starting a Meetup group in your area. In addition to the MS Meetup group, I've also joined a group of local storytellers to learn more about how to get started in this performance art. There are Meetup groups focused on any imaginable topic. Maybe you want to meet other people with MS or maybe you want to find other people who are single moms, people who like to eat sushi, or toy train aficionados.

2 comments: