Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Power of Wishful Thinking

A few minutes before The Ride was due to pick me up at work today, I told a colleague that I wished the driver would text me when the vehicle pulled up outside. The words were barely out of my lips when I heard the ping of a text message from my boss in the parking lot. "Julie, your Ride just pulled up outside."

Wow.

Maybe I should start wishing out loud for some even better stuff. Well, not stuff exactly, but things to happen. I don't want to be ungrateful but...GEEZ!  I definitely don't want to waste my power of wishful thinking on electronic communications from a bus driver!

So here goes. I am making these statements out loud as I write this. And just to take the pressure off, this is, by no means, an exhaustive list of my wishful thinking.

I wish that my children grow up to be happy, healthy, and loving adults who want to spend time with me. I wouldn't mind, either, if they nominated me for Mother-of-the-Year...but that's really not the most important part of this wish.

I wish that the man of my dreams shows up exactly when I'm ready for him and thinks that I am the most beautiful, funny, and smart woman he has ever met. I'll know that he thinks this because he will tell me often and I will, naturally, think and express the exact same sentiments about him.

I wish that President Obama gets elected for a second term and that he starts doing more of the important work I thought he would do. I wish that he will stop giving a crap about playing politics to avoid pissing off the moderates since he won't need to run for reelection again.

I wish that I continue, on most days, to see my MS as a gift that gives more than it takes...mostly in the form of life lessons and gratitude. I wish that I continue to feel great, but that I still cheer louder than anyone at the We Found a Cure for MS parade.

I wish that I have the opportunity to travel to many new places and meet many new people around the world.

I wish that the housekeeping elves visit me in the night and clean all those corners I never notice until I drop something on the floor...especially, the ones in the kitchen and the bathrooms. Actually, dusting would also be nice. Oh...and the refrigerator could use a good scrubbing, too. What the heck! I wish the elves would come and clean every single inch of my house.

I wish that I always want to be the first person on the dance floor and the last person to sit down.

I wish that I remember that I don't need to spend money I don't have on things I don't need to impress people I don't even like. (Thanks for that reminder, Kat!). And with all the money I save on not acting out on my fears of other peoples' opinions, I wish that I organize my finances once and for all.

I wish that I regularly find opportunities to stay out too late listening to loud, live music...and I wouldn't mind getting to meet the band either since I need to let the 12-year old groupie inside me come out to play every now and then. 

I wish that I am surrounded by love and laughter and that I keep on learning and growing until the day I die...when I'm a very old woman wearing purple. 

Oh, and I wish for peace on earth, an end to world hunger, and a home for everyone.

What do you wish for?

1 comment: