Sunday, January 29, 2012

Erasing the Evils of Envy

Do you every experience envy? I'd like to say I'm immune but that would be a lie. Sometimes, I don't feel quite as sweet on the inside as I act on the outside. Sometimes, I compare my insides to other people's outsides and come up short.


Envy is not a nice feeling. It actually feels like crap. I did a search for quotes about "envy" and that was the consensus.

The envious die not once, but as oft as the envied win applause. 
~Baltasar Gracian

If malice or envy were tangible and had a shape, it would be the shape of a boomerang.  ~Charley Reese 

Love looks through a telescope; envy, through a microscope. 
~Josh Billings 

Envy is thin because it bites but never eats. 
~Spanish Proverb

Our envy always lasts longer than the happiness of those we envy. 
~François Duc de La Rochefoucauld

Envy is ignorance.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pity is for the living, envy is for the dead.  ~Mark Twain

Envy is a symptom of lack of appreciation of our own uniqueness and self worth.  Each of us has something to give that no one else has. 
~Elizabeth O'Connor

My antidote for envy is simple: Thank the Universe for all that I have an all that I am. My gratitude list is long but sometimes I have to force myself to make it. Here's my ABC gratitude list for today:


A. AA for changing my life and continuing to help me grow toward being my best self.
B. My boss, who is a reasonable and respectful human being.
C. Clothes on my back...and then some
D. My doctors--the GP who took my presenting MS symptom more seriously than I did and my neurologist who treats me like the captain of my own treatment team.
E. My employer that lets me work from home most of the time.
F. My fabulous friends who have been my family.
G. The knowledge that I am sensitive to gluten and that I feel much, much better living gluten-free.
H. My home.
I. My imagination that keeps my life interesting.
J. Julie. My name. I've always loved it and I've never wanted to change it.
K. The Kindle Fire I bought myself for Christmas. It's wonderful to have a large print option for any book at all.
L. Love....and a laundry room
M. My MS diagnosis and all the gifts that it's given me, including a commitment to my mental, physical, and spiritual health.
N. No drama.
O. My One Day at a Time philosophy.
P. A regular paycheck that pays all my bills.
Q. The quilts on our beds and the fact that my children and I sleep in warm beds every night.
R. Ruby and my growing appreciation of what an amazing person she is.
S. Spin class which I'm starting to really love.
T. The Ride.
U. My UU church community. They are my village.
V. The old Volvo that I gave up driving and donated to charity. I'm grateful that I loved it when I bought it for $1500 and then accepted I needed to give it up because I don't see well enough to drive anymore.
W. Writing,
X. X-rays. Ok. MRIs aren't exactly X-rays but they are close...kinda. I'm grateful that I have health insurance to pay for this important diagnostic tool.
Y. The YMCA and, of course, you, because you read what I write.
Z. Zane and how he giggles in his sleep and offers me a hug when he senses that I'm having a hard time.


How do you fend off envy?

1 comment: