Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Lazy Julie Baker Table???!!!!

This afternoon, I was sitting at my desk editing sales copy and I heard my cell phone ring. (My new ring tone is Gavin Degraw's "I'm in Love with a Girl" because, in my fantasies, I have a rock star/sing er/songwriter boyfriend who wrote the song for me.) But I digress.

So, the caller ID came up as "Restricted" but I picked it up anyway. (Sometimes I like to live dangerously.) The woman on the phone said she works in the same practice as my counselor and that she and her husband (who has MS) are involved with the Central New England Chapter of the National MS Society. She's on the planning committee for the Women Against MS Fashion Plates. It's an annual fashion show/luncheon/fundraiser at the Seaport Hotel in Boston. She told me that she read my article in Lola and that she liked my spirit (or something else really flattering). Then she told me that the event celebrates and profiles a few (or several, I'm not sure) real women with MS and she asked me if I could be one of those women!!!! She think I'm a great power of example.

Apparently, this honor comes with a photo of me that will be in the event program and on a big screen during the luncheon. And, one of the tables will be NAMED after me. The Julie Baker table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, if I want to (I want to, I want to!!!!), I can be a runway model for the fashion show. The organizers started using real women with MS a couple years ago instead of professional, anorexic models.

I feel so honored. I also feel excited, scared, proud, nervous, giddy, and thrilled to pieces by this latest MS gift. I want to fill the Julie Baker table with people I know and love, celebrate how strong and spirited women with MS can be, strut my 44 and fabulous stuff on the catwalk, and help raise money for this very good cause. More to come...

8 comments:

  1. Sign me up- I want to be at your table!! Diane W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome. You're like one of my MS heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, everybody. I'm counting all all of you to remind me that I don't suck because I still have big piles of laundry and act like a non=compliant patient, I'm not too fat to be a runway model, and that I'm worthy of all this good stuff. November is a long way off. I'm sure I'll be all over the place between now and then. Hopefully all that mental masturbation will make for good reading. :-)
    Lazy J

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool.
    I don't know how I missed your blog for so long. Glad I finally found it.
    Anyone would be honored to sit at the Lazy Julie Baker table...awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A table named in your honor, no less. Well then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go with your 44 and fabulous stuff, girl! Very Nice!

    ReplyDelete