Monday, May 22, 2017

Checking in: My Memoir, My Pause, My Storytelling

I just applied for a scholarship for Grub Street's Master Memoir workshop so I can finish this mother once and for all. The mother in question is my book, Maybe I'm Just Lazy: One Woman's Journey Through MS and Life. According to the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation, more than 400,000 people in the United States and about 2.5 million people around the world have MS. About 200 new cases are diagnosed each week in the United States. I'd say that's an audience.

For those of you who don't know, my high-tech marketing job was making me sick so I quit my 20-year career in December and took a minimum wage job as a barista at a coffee shop a 3-minute walk from my house. It was either that or a mental hospital and maybe colon surgery. That''s a whole other book and a whole other blog which is not yet public. My working title is either The Power of the Pause or Operation Pause.



I'm also doing a ton of live storytelling these days (The Moth in Boston, South Shore Story Slams at Doyles, Massmouth, Now Listen Here, and random other story slams). Also working on setting up a blog for that to generate some paid gigs as a storyteller for kids and/or a storytelling teacher.



Just checking in. I still have MS and MS still doesn't have me.

2 comments:

  1. It is good to see you back in the blog world lol. Good luck on your book. Story telling and coffee shop sounds like it could be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to the book Julie!

    One if these days I'll be able to see you at a story slam.

    ReplyDelete