I kind of agree and try to be the best person I can be each day. When I fail, which I do on almost an hourly basis, I try to check myself, clean up any messes I've made, make any necessary apologies, and try to do better moving forward. I teach my kids that they can start their day over anytime, as well.
So, why is this post about resolutions? Because I would like to make some MS Resolutions. This is what I wish would happen with MS this year. More than wish. This is what I am resolving to visualize happening with MS this year. Obviously, a cure is the best option but since that does not appear to be on the immediate horizon, I will settle for the following in 2009:
- Oral medication. Enough already with the needles. I feel like a pin cushion.
- More access to quality MS-specific medical care like I get at Partners MS Center. I didn't realize until I started going there that I needed that kind of one-stop shopping in an environment that only treats MS. I know that I am very fortunate to be an insured individual in a major metropolitan area. It's too bad I am the exception rather than the rule and access is not equitable regardless of region and insurance status.
- A decrease or at least a cap on co-pays for speciality meds. I hear horror stories all the time of people with MS who have health insurance but still have to pay over $100 per month for one maintenance prescription. I would probably have to do without or give up fresh fruits and veggies if my Rebif cost that much.
- Federal funding for embryonic stem cell research to find a cure for MS. I feel pretty confident about this one under the Obama administration. I'm very sorry that Michelle Obama's father lived with MS for so long but I'm very happy that our next President and First Lady recognize the severity of this disease.
- On a similar note, I hope that Michelle Obama agrees to follow the request of some pretty vocal MS activists who have asked her to wear orange to demonstrate her hope for a cure. It's a rocking color anyway and will look fabulous on her. If I am invited to an Inaugural Ball (still waiting), I plan to find an orange gown. Or, if I find a really DROP DEAD GORGEOUS purple one, I will wear orange shoes and make quite a statement. (Crazy lady, coming through!)
Happy New Year MS. You're going down!
How about you? Do you have any additional resolutions for MS?