Monday, June 16, 2008

Republicans--Can't Live With 'Em, Can't Live Without 'Em

I wonder if this appointment means that Hillary Clinton is going to be the running mate on the Democratic ticket? Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Ken thinks Obama will give her an ambassadorship or something. But Ken is a Republican. What the hell do they know?

I think it's hysterical that I am in love with a Republican. When I was setting up my Yahoo Personal account, under "political preference" I thought long and hard before I made my selection. After checking with committee members and coworkers at the time, I decided that the only two groups I couldn't date were "ultra conservative" and "apolitical."

I was married to someone who, for many years of our relationship, was not even registered to vote--a fact that brought me a lot of embarrassment when I forgot we were two separate people. Apolitical was definitely out. I didn't rule out Conservative or Middle of the Road because I had a friendship with a colleague at the time who was Republican and I thought maybe I could date someone like him if the guy was smart, funny, and had other good qualities. Bald Hot Ken is all those things. If only he wasn't so misguided about the Republican thing.

Did I already write about how I found out that Ken was a Republican? He claims that he told me in early email communications before we met but I was dating so much I must have lost track. I was totally floored when, near the end of our second date (an awesome evening that ended with our first kiss and only a kiss in my lobby), he said something about his very liberal brother referring to "his man George." I stopped breathing for a minute, thinking "Uh-oh, I liked this one too!" I simply said, "George who?"

"Bush," he answered, obviously oblivious to my distress.

"George Bush?" I asked again, just to make sure. "You voted for George Bush?"

"Yes." he said but with a bit of hesitation like he was realizing that I was surprised by this new piece of information.

"Ok," I responded. "Think very carefully before answering the next question." Then I paused for dramatic effect.

"Would you vote for him today?" I finally continued. Keep in mind, it was July of 2005. We were in the middle of the "war on terror" in Afghanistan and Iraq--as we still are today. "This could be a deal breaker," I added ominously.

"Definitely not," Ken answered and a choir of angels sang.

Unfortunately, I believe Horribly Misguided Ken plans to vote for McCain which, in my opinion as a pacifist, is almost as bad as voting for Bush. And if you think about it, Ken and his fellow clueless conservatives are kind of responsible for the mess we are currently in and I am a compassionate and forgiving person to date him anyway. (I have to remember to ask him if he feels like he is being incredibly open minded going out with a liberal like me.)

Oh well. He is a fantastic lover, knows how to fix things, has a spiritual life and a committee of his own, is very kind and generous, is very intelligent, reads books and newspapers...and maybe someday he will realize the error of his political ways. I believe I will keep him. But all bets are off if things don't go my way in November.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Julie,
    I love the way you make me think about things in a new way. Thanks for your honesty and your funny slant on things. You could be the female David Sedaris. :)

    PS. I see below that my word verfication is "uniro". I like it. Would that be a phonetic way to say kayak?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to figure out if the "kayak" comment is a hint to your identity, Anonymous. Hmmm. Do I know you outside of Lazy Julie Land?
    Thanks for one of the nicest compliments I've ever received. David Sedaris is one of my idols!
    Lazy J

    ReplyDelete