Thursday, January 31, 2008

I Got a C+ on Sleep Hygiene Last Night

I stopped writing in my blog before 9:00pm last night and thought all was well. Zane was asleep, Ruby was in bed, I went down to the laundry room to put my last loads in the dryer. When I came back upstairs all he** broke loose. Zane was awake and giggling uncontrollably. I mean, laying there, eyes open, laughing like he just heard the funniest joke ever. This, of course, got Ruby going and then they just kept setting each other off. Zane needed potty then water then more potty because of the water. Ruby caught on and started requesting potty and water, too.

I didn't yell...exactly...but I did snatch the water glass from Zane's hand and kept muttering through gritted teeth, "This is MY time." It didn't help that there was a Lost special on TV with clues, background, etc. leading up to the season premiere tonight. I mean...how DARE they.

So, Ruby had to be moved to my bed and was still in there with Zane awake in their room, when I was supposed to be in bed at 10pm. At 10:30, Zane was still awake but significantly calmer so I woke Ruby up and brought her into her own bed. At some point, he tired himself out. I turned the TV off at 11pm but was too aggravated to fall asleep until about 11:30.

I have absolutely no recollection of the alarm going off at 6:45 a.m. today. I got out of bed around 8:00 a.m. and woke the kids up. According to my schedule, I am supposed to be to work by 10:00 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which requires me to leave the house by 8:30. It was more like 8:45 which means I got to work about 10:15...not a good thing after a bad review when, at this stage in my professional career, I am expected to account for my scheduled and actual hours on a weekly basis. I am, however, giving myself a hearty pat on the back for not screaming bloody murder at the kids this morning. That does not mean that I was not thinking mean mommy thoughts.

I'm trying to figure out what I can do differently tonight. Tomorrow is Friday and I work from home in the afternoon, so the whole getting ready thing is a lot easier. I do have an appointment to see and apartment right after Ruby's school begins, so we can't lounge around forever. The kids don't usually come home until 7:15-7:30 p.m. on Thursdays when John drops them off. I am going to leave him a message and ask him to drop them between 6:45 and 7:00 p.m. so we can get a start on our bedtime routine. Hopefully, he will not be a jerk about it and will not fill them up on sugar or crack or whatever gets them so riled up when they come home from his house.

No comments:

Post a Comment