Wednesday, October 03, 2012

MS and the Presidential Election

I watched the Presidential debate and thought I would write a brief post before bed about how this election figures into MS.

The minute you are diagnosed with MS, you have a pre-existing condition. Before the Affordable Health Care Act was signed into law by President Obama, unless you lived in Massachusetts, you had no guarantees that you could get insurance if you changed jobs.

During the debate tonight, Mr. Romney said he would choose to get private health care. I bet he would. He and his wife (who has MS) can afford the best and the most expensive health care available. They will never know what it's like to worry about whether they can afford expensive prescriptions or even co-pays.

I knocked on doors and canvassed for President Obama during the months leading up to the 2008 election because of health care.  It is a personal issue for me and I hope it is for you, too. As a woman, a single mom, a feminist, a supporter of gay rights, and a person with MS, President Obama is the only intelligent choice for me.



1 comment:

  1. As a woman with MS in Australia I am cheering you on. We do have universal health care, which covers most things. However some medication is reserved for the seriously wealthy as is on-going physical therapy. It is really very sucky that a disease you didn't know you had becomes a pre-existing condition from the moment it is diagnosed. Hiss and Spit.

    ReplyDelete