Friday, April 30, 2010

Friday Fun

It's Friday night and I'm thinking about fun. I need fun in my life. If I get too bored I get very, very cranky.

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." ~Katherine Hepburn



I try to find fun in my everyday life...even when I'm not breaking the rules. The kids and I dance in the kitchen sometimes while we clean up after dinner. We occasionally stomp in puddles and almost always blow dandelion seeds on our walks home from school. I help liven up every work conference call with funny stories and I'm kind of known for my infectious (and loud) laugh in meetings. I joke around with my friends in person and we send each other hilarious and rude videos on Facebook. (If only I had the nerve to post some of the best ones here....! If you like offensive, risque humor, go to FunnyorDie.com and you'll get your fill). I also watch some pretty entertaining TV shows and read really great books to myself and to the kids.

I'm headed into a kid weekend. And it's broke weekend, too. I'm not writing that to inspire pity. I know that we'll find free, fun things to do. We'll probably go on a bike ride, there's church on Sunday (which is actually way more fun than it sounds since I go to a pretty cool church), we'll probably go to the library, and I might do some gardening.We may also do some artwork outside in the yard and I'm guessing we'll  watch a movie and have microwave popcorn tomorrow night.

I mean no disrespect to my children, but sometimes I need grownup fun too. Not the kind that needs to be delivered in a plain brown wrapper or won't make it through internet security filters, but the kind that is for me alone...or me with other grownups. Maybe it's because I'm a single parent and so much of my free time is spent with kids or centered around the little freeloaders that keep me from going out clubbing every night. I jest...mostly.

I don't want to go clubbing every night but sometimes I need loud, live music...or dancing...or noisy crowds...or new places to explore...or seeing a cool performance...or hearing a funny/smart/thoughtful reading...or seeing a movie that's not animated in the actual movie theatre...or meeting new people...or learning something new. So...in no particular order here's a random list of things I think are fun and want to do...or do again...or do more often. This list is by no means exhaustive or complete. It's just a beginning...
  • Dancing to live music or a really good Top 40 D.J. Do they still have clubs that play techno?
  • Hiking
  • Dance Lessons (Salsa or African dance maybe?)
  • Practicing my Spanish
  • Going to a drum circle 
  • Cross country skiing
  • Taking a train to New York City for the weekend
  • Getting more stamps in my passport
  • Seeing a Counting Crows concert from the front row
  • Writing in an outdoor cafe while I sip really good coffee
  • Going on a date
  • Trying a new restaurant with a friend (or the aforementioned date).
  • Seeing a side-splitting movie or comedy show and laughing until I snort and almost (but not quite) pee my pants.
  • Re-learning how to read music and taking flute lessons.
  • Going on a long bike ride with beautiful scenery and low sloping hills.
  • Power walking near the beach with great music in my earbuds.
  • Perusing a museum or art gallery.
  • Riding on the back of a motorcycle with my arms around the driver's waist.
  • Reading on the beach.
  • Skydiving again. 
     What's on your fun list?

                        "It is a happy talent to know how to play." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

    No comments:

    Post a Comment