|"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." ~Katherine Hepburn|
I try to find fun in my everyday life...even when I'm not breaking the rules. The kids and I dance in the kitchen sometimes while we clean up after dinner. We occasionally stomp in puddles and almost always blow dandelion seeds on our walks home from school. I help liven up every work conference call with funny stories and I'm kind of known for my infectious (and loud) laugh in meetings. I joke around with my friends in person and we send each other hilarious and rude videos on Facebook. (If only I had the nerve to post some of the best ones here....! If you like offensive, risque humor, go to FunnyorDie.com and you'll get your fill). I also watch some pretty entertaining TV shows and read really great books to myself and to the kids.
I'm headed into a kid weekend. And it's broke weekend, too. I'm not writing that to inspire pity. I know that we'll find free, fun things to do. We'll probably go on a bike ride, there's church on Sunday (which is actually way more fun than it sounds since I go to a pretty cool church), we'll probably go to the library, and I might do some gardening.We may also do some artwork outside in the yard and I'm guessing we'll watch a movie and have microwave popcorn tomorrow night.
I mean no disrespect to my children, but sometimes I need grownup fun too. Not the kind that needs to be delivered in a plain brown wrapper or won't make it through internet security filters, but the kind that is for me alone...or me with other grownups. Maybe it's because I'm a single parent and so much of my free time is spent with kids or centered around the little freeloaders that keep me from going out clubbing every night. I jest...mostly.
I don't want to go clubbing every night but sometimes I need loud, live music...or dancing...or noisy crowds...or new places to explore...or seeing a cool performance...or hearing a funny/smart/thoughtful reading...or seeing a movie that's not animated in the actual movie theatre...or meeting new people...or learning something new. So...in no particular order here's a random list of things I think are fun and want to do...or do again...or do more often. This list is by no means exhaustive or complete. It's just a beginning...
- Dancing to live music or a really good Top 40 D.J. Do they still have clubs that play techno?
- Dance Lessons (Salsa or African dance maybe?)
- Practicing my Spanish
- Going to a drum circle
- Cross country skiing
- Taking a train to New York City for the weekend
- Getting more stamps in my passport
- Seeing a Counting Crows concert from the front row
- Writing in an outdoor cafe while I sip really good coffee
- Going on a date
- Trying a new restaurant with a friend (or the aforementioned date).
- Seeing a side-splitting movie or comedy show and laughing until I snort and almost (but not quite) pee my pants.
- Re-learning how to read music and taking flute lessons.
- Going on a long bike ride with beautiful scenery and low sloping hills.
- Power walking near the beach with great music in my earbuds.
- Perusing a museum or art gallery.
- Riding on the back of a motorcycle with my arms around the driver's waist.
- Reading on the beach.
- Skydiving again.
|"It is a happy talent to know how to play." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson|